Friday, October 13, 2006

You Versus the Salesman (Car Buying Tips)

When customers who want the lowest possible price negotiate with salesmen who want the highest possible commission, hard feelings could fly across the negotiating table. As a former car salesman, this is my advice to all car buyers.
  1. Treat the salesman with respect. Yes, some salesmen will say anything to get a sale, but don’t assume your salesman is one of them. When dealing with your salesman, be pleasant and treat him as you would like him to treat you. Yes, that is the Golden Rule, and it’s always the best way to deal with people. Where I sold cars, some of the sales consultants were honest and trustworthy. Unfortunately, a few were not, but you get that wherever you go. If you can't trust your salesman, then ask for the sales manager so he can get you someone else to work with or leave and shop at another dealership.
  2. Do your research before you show up at the dealership. It makes the transaction go much nicer for you and for the dealership when you arrive informed and with reasonable expectations. Honestly, for your sake, you will get a better deal if you take the time to educate yourself.
I mention these two things because when I sold cars, nothing was more frustrating than customers who assumed that I was liar and a cheat, except for the customers who were completely uneducated and who wasted my time with impossible expectations. No, you can’t buy a $35,000 truck with a $200/month payment and nothing down!

In the end, everybody should get a fair deal. You should buy a car at a fair price and the dealer should make a profit. This brings me to a point that I probably have not made clearly enough. You should save thousands and the dealer still should make a profit.

Written by a former car salesman, college math instructor, health insurance analyst and the author of The Car Buying Bible. This 162-page car buying guide is full of great car buying tips and offers the best car loan calculator around.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Brian! I must say, following your tips worked really well for me. I just remember that before I dropped by our trustworthy used car dealerships in Orange County, I prepared myself on what I needed to know in choosing a car. Besides, I was trying to be nice as possible to the Santa Ana used car dealers when I was negotiating with them, so that I'll be able to save a few thousand bucks on my chosen Toyota Tacoma. It's really a blessing that I came across your blog and read the tips that you've listed.

A big thank you for sharing these incredible tips!

12:13 AM  
Blogger herry023 said...

Give everyone enough space to fully enjoy the wonder of this great city by getting a multi-passenger vehicle.
====================
van rental San Francisco

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home